This quick bread is a very traditional part of any St Patrick’s Day Celebration. The addition of whole grain flour to the dough adds flavor and fiber.
Baking Time: 40 min
Total Time: 1 hour
Yield: 1 large loaf
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine dry ingredients & mix thoroughly to distribute soda and baking powder.
- Add enough buttermilk to form a soft dough.
- Knead on a lightly floured board for 2 – 3 minutes until smooth.
- Form dough into an 8″ round loaf and place on greased or parchment-lined cookie sheet.
- Using a sharp, floured knife, cut a cross on the top of the loaf.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until brown (should sound hollow when tapped).
- Let cool completely before slicing.
- Enjoy a piece with your favorite jam.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
No need to let rise! This bread uses the power of “soda” to get its spring in your oven.