A wonderful, all-purpose sandwich, toast, and dinner bread in a low-fat version!
Hands-on Time: 20 minutes
Baking Time: 30-35 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours 45 minutes including rising time
Yield: 2 medium loaves
- In small bowl or measuring cup, dissolve yeast in warm water.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir honey into warm milk.
- Stir in 3 cups whole wheat flour and yeast.
- Beat vigorously by hand for 3 minutes or with an electric mixer for 1 minute.
- Cover this sponge with plastic wrap, set in a warm place for 30 minutes.
- Fold in the salt and oil, not cutting into the mixture, but turning and folding the whole mass over.
- Work in the unbleached flour cup by cup, adding flour as needed to prevent sticking.
- Turn out on a floured surface and knead for 10 minutes by hand or with an electric mixer dough hook attachment for 7 minutes.
- Place in a clean, oiled bowl, turning once.
- Cover with plastic wrap, set in a warm place and let rise for 60-90 minutes.
- Deflate dough and shape into 2 loaves. Place in two 9 X 5-inch oiled loaf pans.
- Cover and let rise for 20-30 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Bake 30-35 minutes until loaf sounds hollow when thumped and the loaf is golden brown.
- Remove from pans and cool on a rack.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
For a soft crust, brush tops with butter or oil.