Extra nutritious with the addition of heart-healthy oat bran!
Hands-on Time: 20 minutes
Baking Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 2 1/2 -3 hours including rising time
Yield: 2 loaves
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water
- In a small bowl stir honey or sugar and oil into hot water. Cool to lukewarm.
- Add to yeast.
- Stir in oat bran, whole wheat flour, milk, and salt.
- Mix in unbleached flour cup by cup.
- Turn out on a floured surface and knead until smooth, 5-10 minutes, or use an electric mixer with a dough hook attachment.
- Place in a greased bowl turning once to coat.
- Cover and let rise 60-90 minutes or until double in size.
- Deflate the dough and divide it into 2 pieces.
- Shape into loaves and place in loaf pans coated with cooking spray.
- Cover and let rise 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Bake 35 minutes.
- Remove from pans and cool on a rack.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
For a soft crust, brush tops with butter or oil while warm from the oven.