This classic dough can be used for cinnamon rolls, raisin bread, hot cross buns, orange date nut bread, apple coffee ring, peanut butter-jelly rolls, or any of your favorite combinations.
Hands-on Time: 20 minutes
Baking Time: 15-20 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours 45 minutes
Yield: 15 rolls
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water.
- In a small saucepan or microwave bowl, scald the milk.
- Remove from heat and add butter and sugar or honey. Cool to lukewarm.
- Stir milk mixture, beaten egg, whole wheat flour, and 1 cup all-purpose flour into yeast bowl.
- Beat with a mixer or vigorously by hand about 75 strokes until smooth and blended.
- Cover and let mixture (sponge) rise in a warm place for 30 minutes.
- Stir salt and 2 1/2 -3 cups all-purpose flour into a sponge.
- Turn out on a floured surface and knead for 10 minutes adding more flour as necessary to prevent sticking. Or, using the dough hook attachment, knead with an electric mixer for 8-10 minutes.
- Coat a large clean bowl with oil and place dough in it, turning once to coat.
- Cover with plastic wrap or a towel and let rise until double in volume, 60-90 minutes.
- Proceed with your favorite recipe.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
For variations, check the Cakes, Cookies, and Sweets category in the recipe section.