A delicious, nutritious, and super simple bread you can make by hand. The cast iron, lidded pot, and high baking temperature is the secret to the golden crispy crust.
Hands-on Time: 5 minutes
Baking Time: 45 plus 30 preheat time
Yield: one loaf
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the flour, salt, and yeast.
- Add water and whisk just until all is moistened and a dough ball forms.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap.
- Set aside at room temperature for 12 to 18 hours. Overnight is the easiest and dough can rest up to 24 hours.
When ready to bake, preheat oven to 450 degrees. When the temperature has been reached, place a cast iron pot* with a lid in the oven for 30 minutes.
While pot is heating, turn bread dough out onto floured board and form into a ball. Cover with plastic wrap and let rest for the 30 minutes.
Remove the hot pot from the oven and place the ball of dough in the pot. Cover with lid and return to oven for 30 minutes. Do be careful as the pot and lid will be really hot! After 30 minutes, remove the lid and bake uncovered for 15 minutes. Remove pot from oven, remove bread from pot and place on a cooling rack.
* Use a 5 to 6 quart (or anything close to that size) cast iron or enameled cast iron pot with a lid. There is no need to grease the pot. The bread will not stick!