Cornmeal was called Indian meal in the early settlements to distinguish it from meals made from other grains. The English called all flours meals. Indian meal was the daily subsistence for travelers and inhabitants of the New World. War Eagle Cornmeal is stone ground and makes this traditional recipe healthy and delicious.
Hands on Time: 5 minutes
Baking Time: 20-25 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Servings: 8 to 10
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Add drippings or oil to 8-10 inch cast iron skillet or 9 inch baking pan and put in oven while it is preheating.
- In medium size bowl, stir together cornmeal, flour, baking powder and salt.
- Stir in milk, egg and honey or sugar.
- Remove skillet from oven and pour excess oil into batter. Mix well.
- Pour batter into hot skillet and return to oven.
- Bake 20- 25 minutes or until golden brown and firm.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
A delicious bread to serve with most any meal or for a snack with butter and dripping with honey!