If you are looking for the perfect “from scratch” biscuit, try this recipe, working the dough gently, and as if by magic you’ll have a delicious, nutritious, make ya’ proud and your family happy, heavenly biscuit!
Here’s what you will need:
- 2 cup WEM All Purpose Flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 4 tablespoons butter, vegetable oil, non trans-fat shortening or margarine
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- ½ teaspoon salt
Hands on Time: 5 minutes
Baking Time: 12 minutes
Total Time: 17 minutes
Yield: 15, 2 inch biscuits
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees
- Combine flours, salt, baking powder and soda.
- Cut in shortening or oil, etc. with a pastry cutter or your finger tips until mixture resembles very coarse meal. (This can also be done in a food processor but be careful not to over process. Usually about 5 pulses will do.)
- Stir in buttermilk just until dry ingredients are moistened. Dough will be soft.
- Turn out on floured board, sprinkle top with flour and knead gently 5 times to incorporate flour and make a smooth dough. Do not over knead!
- Roll with floured rolling pin or pat out to about 1/2 inch thick.
- Cut biscuits with a floured round cutter or cut in squares with a sharp knife. Re-roll and cut scraps.
- Place biscuits on an un-greased cookie sheet or 9X11-inch baking pan.
- Bake 12 minutes or until golden.
- Whole Wheat Biscuits-Use 1 cup whole wheat flour and 1 cup all purpose flour. Extra nutritious!
- Sweet Milk Biscuits-Use ¾ cup milk or 2/3 cup skim milk (for lowfat) instead of buttermilk and leave out the baking soda.
- Drop Biscuits-Add 1/3 cup more buttermilk or milk to basic recipe and drop by tablespoonfuls onto cookie sheet. Quick and easy!
- Herb Biscuits-Add ¼ teaspoon thyme and ½ teaspoon sage to basic recipe. Wonderful aroma!
- Crunchy-Topped Biscuits-Brush tops with melted butter, dip in toasted wheat germ before baking
Recipe Tips and Tricks
If you like soft sided biscuits, place biscuits on baking sheet or pan so they are touching each other. For crispy sided biscuits leave at least one inch between them.