The cottage cheese adds extra protein and the onion and basil make these light rolls aromatic and wonderfully delicious. Very low in fat!
- 1 package dry active yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 cup nonfat (or 1%) cottage cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated or finely chopped sweet yellow onion
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons dried sweet basil or 2 tablespoons fresh basil shredded fine
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 1/3 cups WEM Organic Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 cup WEM Organic Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
Hands-on Time: 20 minutes
Baking Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours including rising time
Yield: About 15 rolls
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water.
- In a small saucepan or microwave dish, heat together the cottage cheese, onion, sugar, and salt until warm, stirring frequently.
- Stir into yeast mixture.
- Add baking soda, basil, egg and whole wheat flour beating vigorously by hand or with an electric mixer on low speed for one minute then 3 minutes on high speed. Stir in the all-purpose flour.
- Turn out on a floured surface.
- Knead for 5 minutes.
- Place in an oiled bowl, turning once to coat.
- Cover with plastic wrap or towel and set in a warm place to rise until double in bulk, about 1 hour.
- Coat muffin pans or baking pan with cooking spray.
- Pinch off pieces of dough the size of a small egg and put in muffin cups or baking pan slightly touching each other.
- Cover with a cloth and let rise 20-30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Bake 12-15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and brush tops lightly with olive oil before removing from pan.