You can never have too many strawberries! Enjoy the combination of lemon citrus, chunks of strawberries and smooth cream cheese frosting. Yum!
- 1 cup butter, softened to room temp
- 2/3 cups + 2 T granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups WEM Organic Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 1/2 cups WEM Organic Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- zest + juice of 3 medium lemons
- 1 and 1/2 cups fresh strawberries chopped
- 8 ounces low-fat cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 1/4 cup butter, softened to room temperature
- 2 and 1/4 cups confectioners sugar
- 1–2 Tbsp fat-free half & half
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup strawberries, sliced
- Preheat oven to 350
- Spray 9 x 13 cake pan with nonstick spray.
- Using a mixer, beat butter on high until creamy.
- Add sugars and beat on medium-high speed until creamed.
- Add eggs and vanilla.
- Beat on medium speed until everything is combined. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, stir together flours, baking powder, and salt.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix on low speed until combined.
- Add buttermilk, lemon zest, and lemon juice.
- Stir lightly until everything is just combined.
- Fold strawberries into the batter. Do not overmix.
- Spoon batter evenly into a cake pan.
- Bake at 350· for 20-25 minutes or until done.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before frosting
- Using a mixer, beat cream cheese and butter on medium speed until creamy.
- Add confectioners sugar, one tablespoon cream, and vanilla extract
- Increase to high speed and beat for 3 minutes.
- Add another tablespoon of cream to thin out, if needed.
- Frost cake. Decorate with strawberries and chill before serving.