Here’s a great way to utilize your bumper crop of squash! The golden color of these tasty rolls adds a touch of warmth to the dinner table.
- 1 packet dry yeast dissolved in 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 cup cooked and mashed butternut squash
- 1 cup scalded milk
- 1/2 cup sugar or honey
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 stick butter
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 6-9 cups WEM Organic Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
Baking Time: 15 minutes
Yield: 3 dozen medium size rolls
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Scald milk in large saucepan on stove or glass bowl in the microwave. (To scald, bring milk to below a boil. Steam will show but no large rolling bubbles)
- Add butter to melt. Blend in squash, sugar, and salt and remove from heat.
- Cool to lukewarm, add in yeast and beaten eggs.
- Gradually add in flour with a wooden spoon.
- As the dough gets stiff, turn out on a floured surface and work in enough flour to make a soft and slightly sticky dough.
- Place in a large, oiled bowl. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size.
- Shape dough into rolls and place 2 1/2 inches apart on a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Let rise again until double in size.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
Substitute mashed pumpkin for butternut squash for the holidays!