Makes a delicious dinner burger and a great way to use leftover grits! Kick up the veggie burger a notch by adding leafy lettuce, a big slice of tomato, and a toasted bun. Yum!
- 1/4 cup WEM Organic Yellow Corn Grits, cooked*
- 2 Tbsp WEM Organic Yellow Cornmeal
- 1/4 cup WEM Organic All-Purpose Flour
- 2/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese (low or nonfat is fine)
- 1/2 cup black beans, mashed
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 2 Tbsp minced onion
* To make 1/4 cup cooked grits:
- In a small saucepan bring 1/8 cup grits, 1/2 cup water, and a pinch of salt to a boil. Lower heat and simmer 10-12 minutes, stirring often, until tender.
- Microwave method: In a microwave bowl, stir 1/8 cup grits, a pinch of salt, and 3/4 cup water together. Heat on high for 3 minutes. Stop, stir and heat in 2-minute increments, stirring after each, until tender.
Hands-on Time: 10-12 minutes
Baking Time: 3-5 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
Yield: 12-15 cakes
- Mash black beans and minced onion.
- In a medium-size bowl, combine all ingredients.
- Coat a griddle or large skillet with cooking spray and heat on medium.
- Drop batter by spoonfuls onto the griddle.
- Cook until browned and then flip to cook the second side.
- Serve hot.