Grits are what we like to call a canvas dish because when you add sweetness, spice, cheese. etc., they bring the flavor to life! Enjoy all the flavors of this traditionally southern dish with War Eagle Mill Organic White or Yellow Corn Grits. Yum!
- 1 1/2 lbs medium raw shrimp, peeled & deveined
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp hot sauce
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups War Eagle Mill Organic White Corn Grits
- 6 slices of bacon, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper. finely chopped
- 2 garic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp War Eagle Mill Organic Unbleached All Purpose Flour
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- Combine shrimp, lemon juice, and hot suace.
- Let shrimp marinate in fridge for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Bring 6 cups of water and 1 tsp salt to a boil.
- Gradually add 1 1/2 cups grits, stiring constantly.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 35-40 minutes, stirring frequently.
- When done, stir in butter and cheese. Cover and set aside.
- Brown bacon in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add red onion, bell pepper, and garlic. Cook until onion is soft.
- Add green onion and flour.
- Saute for 5 minutes.
- Stir in stock and 1/2 tsp of salt.
- Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add in shrimp and cook until opaque.
- Mound grits in a bowl and top with shrimp.