Flaky, delicious, and cholesterol friendly!
- 1/4 cup WEM Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
- 1 3/4 cup WEM All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 6-7 tablespoons cold skim milk
Baking Time: varies according to filling
Yield: 2 single or 1 double-crust 9-inch pie
- In a medium-size bowl, combine flour and salt.
- Stir in oil with a fork until crumbly.
- Add cold milk 1 tablespoon at a time, stirring until mixture can be rolled with your hands to form a ball. You may not need all of the milk.
- Divide dough into 2 pieces.
- For a double-crust pie, turn one ball out on a floured surface or sheet of wax paper dusted lightly with flour. Pat dough to flatten into a 5-6 in a circle about 1 1/2 inches thick. Cover with another sheet of wax paper and roll out to about a 12-inch circle.
- Remove top paper and carefully invert the circle onto the pie pan. Remove the bottom paper. Fit crust into the bottom and sides of the pan. With a sharp knife, trim crust around the edge of the pan.
- Place the desired pie filling in the prepared pie shell.
- Roll out the second ball of dough and place on pie. Trim the edge of the top pastry to 1/2 inch beyond the edge of the pie pan. Fold the extra pastry under the edge of the bottom crust, sealing and scalloping the edge by pressing the dough between thumb and index finger.
- Cut slits in top crust. For a golden crust brush with milk.
- Bake according to filling directions.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
You can roll the dough without the wax paper if you flour the surface you are rolling on, the top surface of the crust, and the rolling pin just enough so that the dough does not stick. You don’t want to add too much more flour into the pastry.