This bread can take 2-3 days to make, is very crusty and close textured with a wonderful whole-grain flavor. While baking in the oven the loaves rise like footballs!
- 1 teaspoon dry active yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1/2 cup room temperature skim milk
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 cups WEM Organic Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
Hands-on Time: 30 minutes
Baking Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 12-36 hours including rising time
Yield: 2 medium or 1 large loaf
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water and milk.
- Add sugar and flour, beating until smooth.
- Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let stand at room temperature 4 hours to overnight.
- Mix the yeast, water, salt, and whole wheat flour into the sponge, beating until smooth.
- Add unbleached flour cup by cup beating well after each addition.
- Turn out on a floured surface and knead until elastic but still sticky, about 5 minutes.
- Place in an ungreased clean bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let rise at room temperature for 4 hours to overnight.
- Divide dough into 2 pieces for two small loaves or one large loaf. Shape into an oblong.
- Sprinkle a baking sheet with cornmeal and place loaves on sheet.
- Cut 3 diagonal slashes with a sharp knife in the top of each loaf.
- Let rise, uncovered, for 1-2 hours.
- If you have a baking stone, place in oven and preheat to 400 degrees.
- Gently slide the loaf onto a baking stone or place the baking sheet with the loaf in the oven.
- Bake 45 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool on rack.