A moist, flavorful, and beautiful braided bread for any special occasion.
- 1/4 cup butter, margarine or olive oil
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
Hands-on Time: 25 minutes
Baking Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 2-1/2 hours
Yield: 1 loaf
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water.
- In a large bowl, stir together honey, butter, or oil and hot water.
- Stir in egg, milk, salt, and wholewheat flour.
- Add yeast and blend with an electric mixer or vigorously by hand for 2 minutes.
- Stir in all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- Cover the bowl and put it in a warm place to rise for 1-1/2 hours or until doubled in volume.
- Prepare filling while the dough is rising.
- Saute onion in butter until transparent.
- Remove from heat and stir in other ingredients.
- When the dough has doubled in volume, punch down and turn out on a floured surface, working until the dough is no longer sticky and can be rolled into a 12 X 18-inch rectangle.
- Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Cut the rectangle into 3-4 inch by 18-inch strips.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Spread filling long ways down the center of each of the 3 strips.
- Roll up each strip lengthwise into a rope, pinching sides and ends together to seal.
- Place the ropes, seams down, on a greased cookie sheet.
- Braid them together starting with middle rope. Pinch ends together and tuck under.
- Brush top with beaten egg white for a glossy finish.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place.
- Bake 35 minutes.