Millet has a nice popcorn flavor that adds texture and taste to the bread.
Hands-on Time: 20 minutes
Baking Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours 30 minutes including rising time
Yield: 2 loaves
- In a medium-size saucepan, cook millet in water for 5 minutes. Cover and let cool.
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water.
- Stir in warm milk, honey or sugar, oil, oats, salt, whole wheat flour, and cooled millet.
- Beat vigorously by hand or with an electric mixer for 3 minutes.
- Stir in the unbleached flour.
- Turn out on a floured surface and knead for 5 minutes (or knead with a mixer using the dough hook attachment.)
- Place in an oiled bowl, turning once to coat. Cover and set in a warm place to rise for 1 hour.
- Deflate the dough and on lightly floured surface shape into 2 loaves.
- Place in loaf pans coated with oil or cooking spray.
- Cover and let rise 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Bake 40 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.
- Remove from pan and cool on a rack.