Light and buttery!
Hands-on Time: 15-20 minutes
Baking Time: 15-17 Minutes
Total Time: 2 hours 30 minutes including rising time
Yield: 24 rolls
- In a large mixer bowl, stir together the yeast and the whole wheat flour.
- Peel potato and cover with water in a medium saucepan.
- Boil until soft.
- Pour off water reserving 1/2 cup.
- Mash and measure 1 cup potato.
- In medium saucepan scald milk.
- Add butter, potato water, mashed potato, honey or sugar, salt, and egg. Cool to lukewarm.
- Stir into yeast and whole wheat flour. Mix with electric mixer about 3 minutes or stir vigorously by hand.
- Stir in unbleached all-purpose flour.
- Turn out on a floured surface. Knead 5 minutes adding more flour if necessary. The dough will be sticky.
- Place in an oiled bowl and turn once to coat.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled. About 1 hour
- Punch down dough.
- Coat a muffin tin or baking pan with cooking spray or vegetable oil on a paper towel.
- Pinch off pieces of dough and shape into balls about 2 inches in diameter. Place in a muffin tin or close together in baking pan.
- Cover and let rise 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Bake 15-17 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Remove from oven and brush tops with butter before removing from pan.