Bring on the heat! Fry up some jalapeño bites with this crunchy, wheat-free batter. Great as an appetizer for your next gathering!
- Chop jalapeños to 1/4 inch bites. You can remove seeds to lessen the hotness of the pepper.
- Start to warm oil in a large skillet to medium heat.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, 1/4 cup cornmeal, paprika, onion and garlic powder, salt, pepper, and buttermilk.
- In three batches, add the sliced jalapeños to the batter.
- Stir around with a small spoon to coat all of the slices.
- Place battered jalapeños in the extra cornmeal, one at a time, coating both sides.
- Place battered jalapeños on to the heated oil.
- Cook for 3 to 4 minutes on each side until golden brown. Depending on the heat of your oil, it may cook faster or slower.
- Use a fork to gently turn each jalapeño over and cook for an additional 3 to 4 minutes.
- Set the crispy jalapeño bites on paper towels to drain the excess of oil. Enjoy!