This traditional Easter Morning bun starts with one recipe War Eagle Basic Sweet Dough found in the recipe section.
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp warm water
Hands-on Time: 30 minutes
Baking Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 3 hours including rising times.
Yield: 24 buns
- After the sponge rise of the Basic Sweet Dough, stir in cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg.
- Work in flour or as much as needed to prevent dough from sticking.
- Work in currants and other fruit.
- Turn out on a floured surface and knead gently about 5 minutes.
- Cover and let rise 60-90 minutes or until doubled in volume.
- Pinch off dough and shape into balls 2 inches in diameter. Place 3 inches apart on a well-buttered or sprayed baking sheet.
- Snip tops with scissors making an X design.
- Cover and let rise 30 minutes or until light.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Bake 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Mix together lemon glaze ingredients until smooth.
- With a knife or spoon, drizzle in the form of a cross on top of each bun.