Summertime bread. Baked in a skillet or on a griddle so you have no hot oven to heat the house! Yummy! Eggs Benedict! These are made with 50/50 white and whole wheat flour to make the perfect blend of wholesome and tender. Honey adds a subtle sweet note.
Hands-on Time: 20 minutes
Baking Time: 10-12 minutes
Total Time: 2-1/2 hours including rising time
Yield: 8-10 muffins
- In a small saucepan or microwave bowl, scald the milk.
- Add honey or sugar and butter or oil.
- Let cool to lukewarm.
- Dissolve yeast in warm water.
- Add cooled milk mixture.
- Stir in salt and 2 cups whole wheat flour.
- Beat with an electric mixer for 3 minutes.
- Stir in the rest of the flour cup by cup beating after each addition.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place for about 1-1/2 hours.
- Punch down dough.
- Sprinkle a clean board or surface lightly with cornmeal. Roll out dough to 1/2 inch thick.
- Sprinkle top of the dough lightly with cornmeal.
- Cut with a 3-4 inch round biscuit or cookie cutter.
- Cook muffins on a lightly greased, medium-hot griddle for 10-12 minutes, turning 2-3 times.
- Eat while warm or cool for later.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
Add cinnamon, raisins, sunflower seeds, garlic, onions or sun-dried tomatoes and basil to create a variety of muffin flavors.