This makes a double batch of delicious, nutty rolls. Bake one now and freeze one for later!
You will need the following ingredients times two.
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 cup pecan halves
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/3 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
Hands-on Time: 30 minutes
Baking Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 3-3 1/2 hours including rising time
Yield: 30 rolls
- In a small saucepan or microwave bowl, scald the milk.
- Add butter and 1/2 cup honey. Cool to lukewarm.
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water.
- Stir in cooled butter mixture, egg, and whole wheat flour.
- Beat with an electric mixer 3 minutes or vigorously by hand until smooth and blended.
- Cover and let mixture (sponge) rise in a warm place for 30 minutes.
- Stir in salt and all-purpose flour.
- Turn out on a floured surface and knead for 10 minutes or knead by an electric mixer with the dough hook attachment. The dough will be slightly sticky
- Place in an oiled bowl turning once to coat.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place for 1-1/2 hours or until doubled in volume.
- Punch down dough and divide into two pieces.
- Melt 3 tablespoons butter and pour into a 9 X 13 baking pan.
- Pour in 1/3 cup honey, sprinkle on 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and drop pecan halves evenly over bottom.
- On a floured surface, roll out 1 piece of dough to a 10 X 15-inch rectangle about 1/4 inch thick.
- Sprinkle with 1-1/2 teaspoons cinnamon.
- Drizzle with 2 tablespoons, honey.
- Roll up lengthwise, pinching seams together with moistened fingertips.
- With a sharp knife, slice off 1-inch rolls with long light stroke-not compressing the dough.
- Place rolls about 1/2 inch apart in prepared pan.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place to rise about 40 minutes or until doubled in volume.
- Repeat with the second ball of dough.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and invert on a large platter so the pecans are on top.