So good and hearty and heart-healthy!
- 2 cups cooked barley
- 1 1/2 cups (16-ounce can) pinto beans drained
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon (3 small cloves) garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Worcestershire or soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons vinegar
- 3 egg whites or 2 eggs
- 1 cup uncooked WEM Organic Thick Rolled Oats
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
Baking Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
Servings: 8 to 12
- Cook Barley according to directions on the package.
- Partially blend the pinto beans and barley in a food processor, blender, or with a potato masher, keeping some of the beans whole for texture. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil on medium and add onions, bell pepper, garlic, Worcestershire or soy sauce, and spices. Cook 5 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato paste, vinegar, and stock and continue cooking until the mixture is thick about 10 minutes.
- Stir the vegetable mixture into the barley and beans. Add the rolled oats and mix well.
- Beat eggs or whites and fold into mixture.
- Line a 9 X 13-inch baking pan with aluminum foil and coat with cooking spray.
- Mound the mixture into pan and shape in a loaf with your hands.
- Bake 30 minutes until browned.
- Let cool at least 5 minutes before cutting.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
For a real “meatloaf” look, remove from oven and top with ketchup for the last 10 minutes of baking time.