Hands down the BEST homemade German Chocolate Cake with irresistible layers of coconut, pecan, and chocolate frosting.
For the Chocolate Cake:
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1-3/4 cups War Eagle Mill Organic Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup oil (vegetable or canola oil)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
For the Coconut Frosting:
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3 large egg yolks
- 3/4 cup evaporated milk
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup shredded sweetened coconut
For the Chocolate Frosting:
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl.
- In a separate bowl combine the eggs, buttermilk, oil and vanilla and mix well.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix to combine.
- Stir in boiling water (batter will be very thin).
- Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake for 25 - 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean or with few crumbs.
- Cool 5 minutes in the pan and then invert onto wire racks to cool completely.
For the German Chocolate Frosting:
- In a medium saucepan add brown sugar, granulated sugar, butter, egg yolks, and evaporated milk.
- Stir to combine and bring the mixture to a low boil over medium heat.
- Stir constantly for several minutes until the mixture begins to thicken.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla, nuts and coconut. Allow to cool completely before layering it on the cake.
For the Chocolate Buttercream Frosting:
- Melt butter and stir in cocoa powder.
- Alternately add powdered sugar and milk, beating to spreading consistency.
- Add small amount additional milk, if needed to thin the frosting, or a little extra powder, until you reach your desired consistency.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Place one of the cake rounds on your serving stand or plate.
- Smooth a thin layer of chocolate frosting over the cake layer, and then spoon half of the coconut frosting on top, spreading it into a smooth layer.
- Leave about ½ inch between the filling and edge of cake.
- Stack the second cake round on top.
- Smooth chocolate frosting over the entire cake.
- Spoon remaining coconut frosting on top of the cake.