Perfect for the holidays, this is a soft cake-like cookie, rolled or dropped.
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 1/4 cup sorghum, molasses or honey
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup mashed pumpkin
- 1/2 teaspoon orange or vanilla extract
- 1 cup WEM Whole Wheat Flour
- 2 1/2 cups WEM All-Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup raisins or dried cranberries
- FROSTING: One cup powdered sugar and 1 tablespoon lemon juice
Baking Time: 12-15 minutes
Total Time: 30-40 minutes plus 1 hour chill time
Yield: 4 dozen cookies
- Cream butter and sugar in a large bowl by hand or with an electric mixer.
- Add molasses, egg, pumpkin, and orange or vanilla extract. Beat until well blended.
- In a separate bowl, combine dry ingredients.
- Add to pumpkin mixture and beat until smooth and well blended.
- Stir in raisins or dried cranberries.
- Cover the bowl and refrigerate until chilled (1 hour)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Coat baking sheets with cooking spray.
- ROLL METHOD: Turn out on a floured surface, form into a ball and knead 2 minutes. Roll out 1/4 inch thick and cut with cookie or biscuit cutter.
- DROP METHOD: Do not knead. Drop dough by rounded teaspoonfuls 1 inch apart on a baking sheet.
- Bake 12-15 minutes.
- Mix the powdered sugar and lemon juice together.
- Cool on rack and frost.