This is a delicious cake, (similar to a sweet, quick bread) served with tea or for brunch.
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar combined with 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
Baking Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
Yield: 1 loaf
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Coat a 9 X 5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray and sprinkle bottom and sides with the 1 tablespoon sugar.
- Grind flaxseed in blender or spice mill.
- Grate lemon zest.
- Combine the 3/4 cup sugar and eggs in a large bowl. Beat vigorously by hand or at high speed with an electric mixer for 3 minutes.
- Add buttermilk, oil, lemon zest, and vanilla combining well.
- In a smaller bowl, combine flax meal, flour, baking powder, soda, and salt and whisk together.
- Add flour mixture to buttermilk mixture gradually, stirring well.
- Pour batter into loaf pan.
- Bake 50 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes before removing from pan. Cool completely.
- Drizzle glaze over top of the loaf.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
For an elegant dessert, slice and serve with a scoop of raspberry sorbet.