These are always a kid favorite, but our version gives them a healthy whole-grain crunch that ‘big’ kids will like too!
- 4 large egg whites
- 2 tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp coarse black pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1 pound skinless tilapia fillets, cut into strips
- 1 cup WEM Organic Yellow Corn Flour
- ½ cup WEM Organic White Wheat Flour
- 1 cup of vegetable oil
- Ketchup for little kids, tartar sauce & lemon wedges for big kids.
- In a large bowl whisk together egg whites, salt, pepper, and garlic.
- In another bowl, combine flours and more seasoning to suit taste.
- Add fish strips to egg mixture and toss to coat.
- Lift fish out letting excess drip off.
- Dredge in flour and pat lightly to help it adhere to fish.
- Transfer to a large baking sheet or platter.
- Using a large skillet heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Working in batches so as not to crowd the pan, cook fish until golden brown and opaque, about 4 to 6 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack. Makes 4 servings.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
Any firm white-fleshed fish can be used in place of tilapia such as cod, haddock or catfish