Great texture, quick and easy. This can even be baked in the microwave! Lovely for holiday breakfast.
Hands-on Time: 20 minutes
Baking Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes including rising time
Yield: 2 medium loaves
- Heat milk.
- Add honey and butter or oil. Let cool.
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water.
- Stir in milk mixture, wheat germ, whole wheat flour, 1 cup all-purpose flour, salt, soda, and cranberries. Beat well by hand or with an electric mixer.
- Stir in the rest of the flour.
- Coat two 8 1/2 X 4 1/2 inch loaf pans with cooking spray. Sprinkle sides and bottom lightly with cornmeal.
- Spoon batter into pans and pat smooth. Sprinkle tops lightly with cornmeal.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place for 25-30 minutes or until dough reaches 3/4 up the side of the pan.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Bake 25 minutes. Cool on rack
- Reduce flour by 1/2 cup. Mix and spoon into microwave-proof loaf pans prepared with cooking spray and cornmeal.
- Microwave each loaf separately on HIGH power 6 1/2 minutes. Allow resting 5 minutes before removing from pans.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
English Muffin Cinnamon-Raisin Loaf: Omit cranberries and add 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon with the last cup of flour. Stir in 1/2 cup raisins. Nuts are a nice addition too.