Fantastic chewy cornmeal rolls with no added fat!
Hands-on Time: 15 minutes
Baking Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours 45 minutes including rising time
Yield: About 24 rolls
- In a medium saucepan, bring milk and salt to a simmer. Gradually whisk in cornmeal. Cook, stirring, until thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl (or stand mixer bowl) beat together yeast, water, brown sugar, two eggs, and the cornmeal mush.
- Slowly add enough flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn out on the floured surface. (If your mixer has a dough hook leave dough in the bowl, switch attachments and knead by machine.)
- Knead until smooth.
- Place in a clean, oiled bowl, turning once to coat the dough.
- Cover with plastic wrap or a clean dishtowel.
- Set in a warm place and let rise until double, about 2 hours.
- Turn out on the lightly floured surface. Pinching off walnut-size pieces, roll dough into balls. Sprinkle a baking sheet with 1 tablespoon of cornmeal.
- Place dough balls on a baking sheet.
- Cover again, set in a warm place and let rise until double in bulk, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Brush top of each roll with beaten egg and sprinkle with cornmeal.
- Cut two parallel slits in top of each roll.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
Wonderful with butter and honey!