A Southern-style stuffing or dressing for your holiday meals.
FOR THE CORNBREAD:
- Cooking spray, for pan
- 1 1/2 cups War Eagle Mill Organic Yellow Cornmeal
- 3/4 cups War Eagle Mill Organic Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tbsp melted butter, cooled slightly
FOR THE STUFFING:
- 3 tbsp. butter, plus more for pan
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp freshly chopped sage
- 2 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- Freshly chopped parsley, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400° and grease a 9"-x-13" baking pan generously with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl whisk together the yellow cornmeal, the all-purpose flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In another large bowl, whisk together milk, buttermilk, eggs, and melted butter.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir with a fork until just incorporated.
- Pour batter into a prepared baking dish and bake until the top is golden and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Let cool completely then crumble into large pieces and transfer to a large bowl.
- Grease a large baking dish with butter and reduce oven temperature to 375°.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt butter.
- Stir in onion and celery and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook until soft, about 8 minutes, then stir in garlic, sage, and thyme and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and toss with crumbled cornbread.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl, whisk together eggs and chicken broth.
- Pour over cornbread mixture and toss to coat, then transfer to prepared baking dish.
- Bake until toasted on top and hot throughout, about 30 minutes.