A classic! Start with War Eagle Basic Sweet Dough found in recipe section.
- 1 War Eagle Basic Sweet Dough Recipe
- 3/4 cup raisins soaked in 1 cup boiling water
- 2 tablespoons softened butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
Hands on Time: 25 minutes
Baking Time: 15-20 minutes
Total Time: 3 hours
Yield: 15 large rolls
- In large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water.
- In a small saucepan or microwave bowl, scald milk.
- Remove from heat and add butter and sugar or honey. Cool to lukewarm.
- Stir milk mixture, beaten egg, whole wheat flour and 1 cup all-purpose flour into yeast bowl.
- Beat with a mixer or vigorously by hand about 75 strokes until smooth and blended.
- Cover and let mixture (sponge) rise in a warm place for 30 minutes.
- Stir salt and 2 1/2 -3 cups all-purpose flour into sponge.
- Turn out on floured surface and knead for 10 minutes adding more flour as necessary to prevent sticking. Or, using the dough hook attachment, knead with electric mixer for 8-10 minutes.
- Coat a large clean bowl with oil and place dough in it, turning once to coat.
- Cover with plastic wrap or a towel and let rise until double in volume, 60-90 minutes.
- Proceed with your favorite recipe.
- 1 cup powdered sugar mixed with 2-3 tablespoons warm water, milk, orange juice or lemon juice
- After last rise of Basic Sweet Dough, roll dough into a 8 X 18 inch rectangle.
- Spread with 2 tablespoons softened butter.
- Sprinkle with 1/2 cup brown sugar and 2 teaspoons cinnamon.
- Drain raisins and pat dry with paper towel. Sprinkle raisins on dough.
- Roll up from long side, pinching seams together.
- Butter 2 baking sheets.
- Slice roll 1-inch thick. Place on baking sheets 2 inches apart.
- Cover and let rise 25 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Bake 15-20 minutes.
- Make glaze with powdered sugar and water.
- Spread on warm rolls.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
Add pecans, walnuts or sunflower seeds to filling for extra protein and a nice crunch!