A tasty, kid-friendly nugget made with War Eagle Mill Yellow Corn Grits and cauliflower. Nutritious and low-fat and an easy way to use leftover grits!
- 3/4 cup War Eagle Mill Yellow Corn Grits, cooked*
- 2 1/2 – 3 cups cauliflower, steamed and chopped fine**
- 1 egg plus 1 egg white
- 1/2 cup onion, minced
- 3 Tbsp fresh parsley, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 1/2 cup regular or reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1/8 tsp crushed red pepper
* To cook grits, slowly stir 1/3 cup War Eagle Mill Yellow Corn Grits into 1 1/2 cups boiling, salted (1/4 tsp) water. Simmer 12-15 minutes stirring frequently until thickened and water is absorbed.
** Steam 3 cups fresh cauliflower in one inch of water in a covered pot until fork tender but not mushy. Drain well and dry on paper towels. Chop fine with a sharp knife.
Hands-on Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
Yield: About 3 dozen Bites
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Combine all ingredients in a medium-size bowl.
- Use one Tbsp of the grits mixture and form into small cakes or “Bits” with a spoon.
- Place on a prepared baking sheet.
- Bake 10 minutes or until golden brown on the bottom, remove from oven and turn Bits over.
- Bake another 10 minutes or until golden brown.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
Serve hot as a side dish with your favorite entree or cold as a snack.