Buckwheat is a hearty, satisfying grain with a nutty flavor. Very nutritious!
Hands-on Time: 15-20 minutes
Baking Time: 35-40 minutes
Total Time: 3 hours including rising time
Yield: 2 medium loaves
- Dissolve yeast in warm water.
- Add the sorghum.
- Stir in buckwheat flour and 1 cup whole wheat flour beating vigorously for 50-70 strokes.
- Cover with a cloth and let rise in a warm place for 30 minutes. (This is the sponge)
- Fold in the salt and oil not cutting into the mixture but turning and folding the whole mass over.
- Work in the remaining 3 cups whole wheat flour and the 1-2 cups all-purpose flour as needed to prevent it from sticking.
- Turn out on a floured surface and knead until smooth 5-10 minutes.
- Place in an oiled bowl turning once. Cover and let rise 60-90 minutes.
- Deflate (punch down) dough and shape into 2 loaves.
- Place in loaf pans coated with cooking spray.
- Cover and let rise again until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Bake 35-40 minutes.
- Remove loaves from pans and cool on a rack.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
For a soft crust brush with butter while warm.