Quick to make, slow to cook, New England steam bread is traditionally served with beans, soups and chowders.
Hands-on Time: 10-15 minutes
Baking Time: 2-3 hours
Total Time: 3 hours
Yield: 1 loaf
- Oil and flour a clean, 1 pound coffee can or oven-proof crock.
- In a medium-size bowl, stir together dry ingredients including raisins.
- In a small bowl, mix together the molasses and buttermilk.
- Stir into dry ingredients, mixing well.
- Spoon batter into can or crock. Cover with aluminum foil.
- Set can in a larger pot that has a tight-fitting lid. Pour 2 inches of water in a larger pot. Place lid on the pot.
- Steam over medium-low heat for two hours.
- Alternate, energy-saving cooking method: Place covered can in a crockpot. Add 2 inches of water. Cover and cook on high for 3 hours.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
Delicious spread with cream cheese!