Dark and decadent! Delicious made with fresh black or blue berries or a good way to use up the ones you put in the freezer last summer.
- 1 quart (4 cups) fresh or frozen blackberries or blueberries
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 cup plus 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 cup WEM Organic Blue Corn Meal
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 Tbsp melted butter
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 Tbsp melted butter
- 2 Tbsp fresh squeezed lemon or orange juice
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Butter or spray a baking dish at least 2 inches deep.
- Combine the cornstarch and 1/4 plus 1 Tbsp sugar. Sprinkle over berries.
- In a small bowl, mix the cornmeal, 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Stir in the buttermilk, melted butter, and egg.
- Drop by spoonfuls over berries leaving some of them exposed.
- Mix together the topping and drizzle over the batter.
- Bake 50-55 minutes, until batter is set and lightly browned.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
Top with vanilla ice cream, whipped cream, or half and half.