Experience the Bean Palace Restaurant’s most popular dish at home! Serve with War Eagle Mill Cornbread and sliced sweet onion! Yum!
Don’t have time to make this recipe at home? Purchase our Bean Palace Pinto Bean Soup Mix here! It has all the fixings included.
- 1 1/2 pounds dry pinto beans
- 1 small dried hot chili pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 pound smoked ham, cut in chunks OR 1/4 pound smoked bacon in 1-inch pieces OR 1 ham bone**
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Total Time: 3 hours 30 minutes
Servings: 8 to 12
- Sort beans and rinse in a colander.
- Pour into a large stockpot and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Pour this water off.
- Add 3 quarts of fresh water and rest of ingredients, except salt.
- Cover, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 3 hours or until tender. Add more water if needed.
- When beans are tender, add salt to taste.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
*For vegetarian beans, omit ham or bacon and add 2-4 tablespoons olive oil. For a spicy flavor, add 2 teaspoons chili powder, 1/2 teaspoon cumin, and 2 minced garlic cloves during the last 30 minutes of cooking.