Experience the Bean Palace Restaurant’s most popular dish at home! Serve with War Eagle Mill Cornbread and sliced sweet onion! Yum!
- 1 package of WEM Bean Palace Pinto Bean Soup
- 1 small dried hot chili pepper (included)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 pound smoked ham, cut in chunks OR 1/4 pound smoked bacon in 1-inch pieces OR 1 ham bone**
- 1/2 onion, diced or 1 onion packet (included)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Total Time: 3 hours 30 minutes
Servings: 8 to 12
- Rinse beans in a colander.
- Pour into a large stockpot and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Pour this water off.
- Add 3 quarts of fresh water and rest of the ingredients, except salt.
- Cover, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 3 hours or until tender. Add more water if needed.
- When beans are tender, add salt to taste.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
*For vegetarian beans, omit ham or bacon and add 2-4 tablespoons olive oil. For a spicy flavor, add 2 teaspoons chili powder, 1/2 teaspoon cumin, and 2 minced garlic cloves during the last 30 minutes of cooking.