Experience the taste of life, upside down! An old fashioned twist on a delicious cake with a beautiful presentation.
- 1-16 ounce can apricot halves, undrained
- 1 tsp butter, melted
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup WEM Organic Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup WEM Organic Yellow Corn Flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 tsp lemon rind, grated (zest)
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
Hands-on Time: 30 minutes
Baking Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
Yield: 1 cake
- Drain apricots reserving 3/4 cup juice. Set aside.
- Coat bottom of 9 ” round cake pan with 1 tablespoon butter.
- Sprinkle brown sugar and almonds over butter. Arrange apricots over top.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a medium bowl, combine flours, baking powder, and baking soda stirring well.
- In another medium bowl, beat 1/4 cup butter and sugar until well blended.
- Add lemon zest, vanilla, and egg and beat well.
- Add dry ingredients to egg mixture alternately with reserved apricot juice, starting and ending with dry ingredients and beating well after each addition.
- Pour batter over apricots.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until wooden pick inserted comes out clean.
- Combine 2 tablespoons sugar and lemon juice: stir well and drizzle over warm cake in pan.
- Let cool in pan 5 minutes on wire rack.
- Place the cake plate over the pan and invert so that bottom of the cake in the pan is now the top on the plate.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
Serve warm with a dollop of whipped cream.