This is a very low-fat, light, and slightly wheaty bread.
Hands-on Time: 20 minutes
Baking Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 2-1/2/ hours including rising time
Yield: 2 medium loaves
- In a large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water.
- Stir in milk, sugar, salt, oil, whole wheat flour, and 2 cups of the all-purpose flour.
- Beat vigorously by hand or with an electric mixer for 3 minutes.
- Stir in the rest of the flour.
- Turn out on a floured surface and knead for 8-10 minutes or knead 10 minutes using the dough hook attachment on mixer.
- Place dough in a clean, oiled bowl turning once to coat.
- Cover with plastic wrap and set in a warm place to rise for 1-1/2 hours.
- Punch down or deflate dough and shape into 2 loaves.
- Place in two 9 x 5-inch oiled loaf pans.
- Cover and let rise 20-30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Bake 35 minutes or until the bottom of loaves are golden brown.
- Remove from pans and cool on a rack.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
For a soft crust, brush tops with butter or margarine while still warm.