7 Grain Bread makes for the perfect sandwich with a scrumptious bakery-quality taste.
- Place 7 Grain Cereal in a large bowl. Carefully pour boiling water over cereal, then let stand until mixture cools for approximately 20 minutes. *Until hot to the touch (not lukewarm, but not burning)
- Dust yeast over 7 Grain Cereal. Add 1 cup flour, oil, brown sugar, and salt. Stir until smooth.
- Slowly mix in enough of the remaining flour to form a smooth, moist dough.
- Cover the bowl and let rest for 15 minutes.
- Remove dough and place onto a floured surface.
- Knead until the dough becomes smooth and elastic. *Be sure to add more flour if it's sticky, knead about 5 minutes.
- Generously oil a large bowl with oil of your choice.
- Add dough to the bowl and flip over the ball of dough (oil side up).
- Cover the bowl and let rise in a warm spot until the dough has doubled in size. This should take approximately 1 hour.
- When the dough has doubled in size, gently press down the dough.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface.
- Oil one 9x5-inch pan or two 8x4-inch pans.
- Sprinkle a few teaspoons of 7 Grain Cereal into the bottom of the pan(s).
- For 8x4-inch loaves, divide dough ball into two equal-sized pieces. For 9x5-inch loaf, leave as one piece.
- For both, roll out into a rectangle - about 10x20-inches for a 9x5 loaf, or two 9x18-inch rectangles for two 8x4 loaves.
- Roll up jelly rolls style, starting with the shortest side, then pinch seams together.
- Place rolls seam side down into prepared loaf pan(s).
- Cover with a kitchen towel and let rise until doubled in size. This will take approximately 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Brush the tops of loaves with water and sprinkle with 7 Grain Cereal.
- Bake until beautifully golden and crusty. This should take approximately 25-30 minutes for the 8x4-inch and 45 minutes for the 9x5-inch.
- Be sure to check in on your loaves after 15-20 minutes and cover loosely with aluminum foil if it's already browned to your liking.