Hands on Time: 10 minutes
Baking Time: Varies with waffle irons
Total Time: 10-25 minutes
Yield: 4, 7-8 inch waffles
A classic recipe with a whole grain twist. The options are limitless!
- 1 1/2 cups WEM Whole Wheat Flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 3/4 cups buttermilk
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon honey or brown sugar
- In medium-size bowl, stir together dry ingredients.
- In small bowl, beat together honey or sugar, buttermilk and oil.
- Stir into dry ingredients mixing well.
- Preheat waffle iron and coat with cooking spray or brush with oil.
- Spoon batter into hot waffle iron and bake until golden brown.
- RAISIN WAFFLES: Fold 1/2 cup raisins into batter.
- CRANBERRY NUT WAFFLES: Fold 1/2 cup dried cranberries and 1/4 cup chopped pecans or walnuts into batter.
- BANANA NUT WAFFLES: Mash one small banana and fold into batter with 1/4 cup chopped pecans or walnuts.
- Fold 1/2-3/4 cup fresh or thawed and drained frozen blueberries and 1 more tablespoon honey or brown sugar into batter.
- SWEET MILK WAFFLES: Substitute 1 3/4 cup milk (2% or skim are fine) into batter and delete baking soda from ingredients.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
Serve hot with your favorite syrup, honey, jam or fresh fruit and whipped cream.