Hands on Time: 7-10 minutes
Baking Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
Yield: 1-9 X 5 inch loaf
An easy standard recipe that lends itself to many variations and options.
- 2 1/2 cups WEM Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups regular or lowfat buttermilk
- 1/4 cup honey or sugar
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Coat a 9 X 5 inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
- In medium size bowl, mix together dry ingredients.
- In small bowl, stir together the wet ingredients.
- Add the wet to the dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened.
- Spoon into loaf pan
- Let stand, covered, in a warm place for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Bake for 40 minutes until golden brown.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
For Fruited Quick bread, add 1/2 cup raisins, dried cranberries, apricots or pineapple with dry ingredients.