Hands on Time: 10 minutes
Baking Time: 35-40 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
Servings: 8 to 10
A traditional southern bread that is a cross between custard and cornbread.
- 1 cup WEM White Cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs or 3/4 cup egg substitute
- 2 cups skim milk
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large saucepan, stir together the milk and cornmeal and bring to a slow boil stirring constantly.
- Continue cooking and stirring for about 3 minutes or until mixture thickens.
- Remove from heat and pour into a medium size bowl.
- Stir in sugar and salt.
- Let cool about 5 minutes.
- If using fresh eggs, separate the yolks and whites.
- Add egg yolks one at a time, stirring after each addition.
- Beat the egg whites with a whisk or electric mixer until softly stiff.
- If using egg substitute beat well.
- Fold into cornmeal mixture.
- Pour into a 9 inch ungreased baking dish. Place dish in a larger baking pan containing one inch of water. Bake 35-40 minutes or until set. Serve immediately while it is fresh, hot and yummy!