Hands on Time: 5 minutes
Baking Time: 15-20 minutes
Total Time: 20-25 minutes
Yield: 12 muffins
A quick, easy to prepare and very tasty bread that can be served with any meal. Add more sugar for desert muffins or serve at tea time! This recipe lends itself to endless, simple variations!
- 2-1/2 cups WEM Whole Wheat Flour OR
- 1-1/2 cups WEM Whole Wheat Flour and 1 cup WEM All Purpose Flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar or honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2-1/2 cups buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Coat a 12 cup muffin pan with cooking spray.
- In medium-size bowl, stir together dry ingredients.
- In small bowl, combine wet ingredients.
- Fold wet ingredients into dry ingredients stirring just enough to blend.
- Spoon into muffin pan.
- Bake 15-20 minutes.
- Variations: Increase sugar to 3 tablespoons and add 1 cup your choice of blueberries, chopped apples, pineapple or 1/2 cup dried cranberries, apricots or raisins. Other additions: 1/2 cup chopped pecans, walnuts, almonds or sunflower seeds.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
Fruits and nuts are a wonderful addition to this recipe.