Hands on Time: 20 minutes
Baking Time: 15-20 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours 45 minutes
Yield: 15 rolls
This classic dough can be used for cinnamon rolls, raisin bread, hot cross buns, orange date nut bread, apple coffee ring, peanut butter-jelly rolls or any of your favorite combinations.
- 1 cup milk (lowfat is fine)
- 4 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup sugar or honey
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 cup WEM Whole Wheat Flour
- 3 1/2 -4 cups WEM All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water.
- In a small saucepan or microwave bowl, scald milk.
- Remove from heat and add butter and sugar or honey. Cool to lukewarm.
- Stir milk mixture, beaten egg, whole wheat flour and 1 cup all-purpose flour into yeast bowl.
- Beat with a mixer or vigorously by hand about 75 strokes until smooth and blended.
- Cover and let mixture (sponge) rise in a warm place for 30 minutes.
- Stir salt and 2 1/2 -3 cups all-purpose flour into sponge.
- Turn out on floured surface and knead for 10 minutes adding more flour as necessary to prevent sticking. Or, using the dough hook attachment, knead with electric mixer for 8-10 minutes.
- Coat a large clean bowl with oil and place dough in it, turning once to coat.
- Cover with plastic wrap or a towel and let rise until double in volume, 60-90 minutes.
- Proceed with your favorite recipe.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
For variations, check the Sweet Roll category in recipe section.