Make your own trendy rolls for hot dogs or burgers. With the convenience of our War Eagle Mill Light Wheat Bread Mix, they’re so easy to make! Don’t be fooled, they look just like the ones at the fast food place but much healthier and tastier!
- 1 War Eagle Mill Light Wheat Bread Mix. (includes yeast)
- 1 (12 oz) can or bottle of beer*
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 14 cup butter, melted or olive oil
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 Tbsp water
- 10 cups ( 2 1/2 qts) water
- 1/2 cup baking soda
- Kosher salt
- 18 all natural hot dogs
- Heat the beer in a saucepan over low heat or in a glass measuring cup in the microwave to 110 degrees.
- Add sugar and sprinkle yeast over the top. Stir to combine. Let sit 5 minutes.
- Pour yeast mixture into the bowl of a stand mixer or a large mixing bowl.
- Add Bread Mix, melted butter or oil and 1/2 tsp salt. Mix on low or beat by hand until well blended.
- With dough hook attachment, knead on low for 6-8 minutes, til smooth and elastic.
- Or, turn out on floured surface and knead by hand 6-8 minutes. Cover and let rise in a warm
- place for 30-45 minutes.
- Beat egg yolk with 1 Tbsp of water. Set aside.
- Cover 2 baking sheets with parchment or oil well.
- Bring 10 cups water to a boil in large pan.
- Turn dough out on floured surface and roll into a rectangle approx. 10″X 18″.
- Cut in 1 X 10″ strips. Beginning at one end of hot dog, wrap strip of dough around at an angle
- leaving 1/2 inch of hot dog exposed at each end.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F
- Add baking soda to boiling water. With large slotted spoon, lower hot dogs in to boiling water,
- 3 at a time. Leave in water 30 seconds. Remove and place on prepared pan. When all hot dogs have been
- boiled, brush each one with egg wash and sprinkle lightly with Kosher or chunky sea salt.
- Bake 15 minutes until pretzel brown. Remove from oven and turn over. Bake an additional 3 minutes until bottoms brown.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
Serve hot with mustard and ketchup!
Before the boiling stage, place on baking sheet and freeze. When frozen, put in freezer bag and save for later. When ready to bake, let thaw 30 minutes and continue with boiling water bath, egg wash, salt and bake.
Bake and freeze. Reheat in 325 degree oven 10-12 minutes or until hot.
Use 1/2 dough to make 8 Pretzel Dogs and make pretzel rolls with the other 1/2. Make 2″ balls of dough and continue the boiling water bath, egg wash and salt. Place on prepared baking sheet. With a very sharp knife, gently make an X across top of each roll. Bake 20-22 minutes until pretzel brown.
These make great burger or sandwich buns.