Baking Time: 15-25 minutes
Total Time: 30-40 minutes
Servings: 8 to 10
This is a popular menu item at the War Eagle Mill Restaurant, “The Bean Palace”. If you can’t visit in person, you can at least share some of the goodness offered there!
- 1-10 ounce package frozen chopped broccoli, thawed
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 3 tablespoons butter, margarine or olive oil
- 3/4 cup WEM All-Purpose Flour
- 4 cups milk (whole, 2 % or skim)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- dash nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon chicken base or 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1/4 cup medium-dry white wine (optional)
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large stockpot or saucepan, heat 3 tablespoons oil or butter and saute onion until transparent.
- Stir in flour and cook, stirring, 2 minutes.
- In a thin stream, slowly pour in milk, whisking constantly.
- Continue cooking, stirring constantly until soup begins to boil slightly. Add broccoli, salt, pepper, nutmeg, butter, and bouillon, cooking until thickened. Stir in wine.
- Garnish individual bowls with shredded cheese, or a dollop of sour cream. Serve with whole grain crackers.