Hands on Time: 15 minutes
Baking Time: Varies with waffle irons
Total Time: 20-25 minutes
Yield: 4, 7- 8 inch waffles
A nice, smooth texture with a great flavor. This makes a wonderful Sunday or holiday brunch item.
- 1/2 cup cooked, mashed sweet potato
- 1 1/2 cup WEM Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 3/4 cups buttermilk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons honey or brown sugar
- Boil or bake 1 medium sweet potato in oven or microwave. Mash and measure 1/2 cup.
- Stir together dry ingredients.
- Beat together sweet potato, honey or brown sugar, oil, egg and buttermilk.
- Stir into dry ingredients.
- Preheat waffle iron and coat with cooking spray.
- Ladle batter into hot iron and bake until golden.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
Chopped pecans or walnuts are a nice addition. Serve hot with your favorite syrup, honey, jam or fresh fruit. WEM Butter Pecan Syrup is a wonderful topping.