You can never have too many strawberries! Enjoy the combination of lemon citrus, chunks of strawberries and smooth cream cheese frosting. Yum!
- 1 cup butter, softened to room temp
- 2/3 cups + 2 T granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups WEM Organic All-Purpose Flour
- 1 1/2 cups WEM Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- zest + juice of 3 medium lemons
- 1 and 1/2 cups fresh strawberries chopped
- 8 ounces low fat cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 1/4 cup butter, softened to room temperature
- 2 and 1/4 cups confectioners sugar
- 1 – 2 Tbsp fat free half & half
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup strawberries, sliced.
Preheat oven to 350·
Spray 9 x 13 cake pan with nonstick spray.
Using a mixer, beat butter on high until creamy.
Add sugars and beat on medium-high speed until creamed.
Add eggs and vanilla. Beat on medium speed until everything is combined. Set aside.
In a separate bowl, stir together flours, baking powder and salt.
Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix on low speed until combined.
Add buttermilk, lemon zest, and lemon juice.
Stir lightly until everything is just combined.
Fold strawberries into the batter. Do not overmix.
Spoon batter evenly into cake pan.
Bake at 350· for 20-25 minutes or until done.
Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before frosting
Using a mixer, beat cream cheese and butter on medium speed until creamy.
Add confectioners sugar, one tablespoon cream, and vanilla extract
Increase to high speed and beat for 3 minutes. Add another tablespoon of cream to thin out, if needed.
Frost cake. Decorate with strawberries and chill before serving.