Hands on Time: 15-20 minutes
Baking Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 2 1/2 hours including rising time
Yield: 36 biscuits
A golden, sweet, flavorful bun! Perfect for a special holiday or Sunday Brunch treat!
Here’s what you will need:
- 1 ½ cup cooked and pureed winter squash.
- 1 package dry yeast
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 cups WEM Whole Wheat Flour
- 4 1/2 -6 cups WEM All Purpose Flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- ½ cup warm water
- 4 tablespoons melted butter or vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup very warm milk
- Cut a medium size butternut squash or large acorn squash into large chunks.
- Peel and boil in unsalted water or place unpeeled on oiled baking pan cut side down and bake in 350 degree oven until soft when pierced with a fork. About 30 minutes
- Peel and puree squash in food mill, food processor, blender or mash well with a fork.
- In large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water and let proof 5 minutes.
- Stir in pureed squash, eggs and warm milk.
- Add butter, sugar and salt. Mix well.
- Stir in whole wheat flour and beat vigorously by hand or with paddle attachment if using an electric mixer.
- Add all purpose flour cup by cup until incorporated and soft dough forms.
- If using an electric mixer switch to dough hook and knead 3-5 minutes or turn out on floured surface and knead by hand 3-5 minutes. Dough will be sticky.
- Place in an oiled bowl, cover and set in a warm place to rise about 1 ½ hours or until double in bulk.
- Punch down dough.
- Turn out on a floured surface and sprinkle top with flour.
- Dust rolling pin with flour and roll out to ½ inch thick.
- Cut with a floured biscuit cutter or cut into squares with a sharp knife. Re-roll and cut scraps.
- Place biscuits about ½ inch apart on un-greased baking sheets.*
- Cover with a clean dish towel or plastic wrap and set in a warm place to rise.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- When biscuits have risen, place in oven and bake 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and brush tops with butter.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
*Handy Suggestion: After cutting biscuits, place on oiled baking sheet and freeze. When frozen, remove from pan and store in freezer bag. To bake, thaw biscuits on baking sheet, let rise and bake.