Hands on Time: 10-12 minutes
Baking Time: 3-5 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
Yield: 12-15 cakes
Makes a delicious lunch or dinner cake entree and a great way to use up leftover grits! Add a little lettuce and tomato and you have some super healthy veggie burgers!
- 1/4 cup WEM Grits, cooked*
- 2 tablespoons WEM Cornmeal
- 1/4 cup WEM All-Purpose Flour
- 2/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese (low or nonfat is fine)
- 1/2 cup black beans, mashed
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons minced onion
* To make 1/4 cup cooked grits:
- In a small saucepan bring 1/8 cup grits, 1/2 cup water and a pinch of salt to a boil. Lower heat and simmer 10-12 minutes, stirring often, until tender.
- Micro-wave method: In micro-wave bowl stir 1/8 cup grits, pinch of salt and 3/4 cup water together. Heat on high for 3 minutes. Stop, stir and heat in 2 minute increments, stirring after each, until tender.
- Mash black beans and mince onion.
- In medium size bowl, combine all ingredients.
- Coat a griddle or large skillet with cooking spray and heat on medium.
- Drop batter by tablespoonfuls onto griddle.
- Cook until browned and then flip to cook second side.
- Serve hot.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
For veggie burgers, make slightly larger cakes and serve them on a whole wheat bun with shredded lettuce, tomatoes, and your other favorite “burger” toppings.