Grits are what we like to call a canvas dish… when you add sweetness, spice, cheese. etc., they bring the flavor to life! Enjoy all the flavors of this traditional southern dish. Yum!
- 1 1/2 lbs medium raw shrimp, peeled & deveined
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp hot sauce
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups WEM Organic White Corn Grits
- 6 slices of bacon, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp WEM Organic Unbleached All Purpose Flour
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
Combine shrimp, lemon juice and hot sauce. Let shrimp marinate.
Cook grits as instructed below. When done, stir in butter and cheese. Cover and set aside.
Brown bacon in a skillet over medium heat. Add red onion, bell pepper and garlic. Cook until onion is soft. Add green onion and flour. Sauté for 5 minutes.
Stir in stock and 1/2 tsp salt. Cook for 5 minutes.
Add shrimp and cook until opaque.
Mound grits in a bowl and top with shrimp.